Sydvaranger is a mining company that will be supplying the world market with a high quality magnetite iron ore product. Sydvaranger’s magnetite iron ore has a high percentage of iron and due to its exothermic properties, releases energy in the steel making process. Consequently, not only does the high quality ore produce more steel per tonne of input, it has a lower climate footprint.
Mining has been an important contributor to the community of Sør-Varanger for over four generations. Our operations are conducted in the strictest compliance with environmental regulations, local planning decisions, and observance of all directives by competent authorities and international guidelines. Our continuing ambition is to be operating side-by-side our local communities in a sustainable manner, with minimal impact on the environment.
Our environmental policy
Sydvaranger will build a sustainable future for our employees, the community we are a part of, suppliers, customers, shareholders and business partners. Environmental sustainability will be achieved by fostering internal and external environmental awareness and exercising rigorous control and compliance over our industrial activities. This will only be possible by working closely with the local community, our neighbours, our employees and other stakeholders, and by acknowledging the competence residing in all stakeholders.
• The company shall use the best practicable methods, materials and techniques, which aim to minimise the impact on the environment.
• We shall aim to optimise the consumption of freshwater in our operations.
• We shall continuously and systematically aim to minimise emissions and work to eliminate the risk of unplanned emissions from the business. We work to minimize waste production and find good uses for wastes – to the extent possible.
• We intend to hold an open dialogue about environmental issues with the community and legal authorities.
• We will work towards optimising energy use and reducing emissions from the business. We will work to substitute use of fossil energy with green electricity.
• Employees and other stakeholders with which we communicate shall be made aware that our product is manufactured in an environmentally responsible manner.
• We will be as open and transparent as possible on all matters of our production.
• We welcome all opinions on our operations, both positive and negative, and encourage all to contact us if you have suggestions on how we can improve or how negative impacts can be reduced or mitigated.